Good Eats: Pacific Rim, Ann Arbor

I am ashamed to say that it has taken me almost a full year to blog about my favorite Ann Arbor restaurant, Pacific Rim. I'm not sure what I have been waiting for, but it is high time I give it its due praise.

Pacific Rim is a "unique Pan-Asian" restaurant that is home to some of my all time favorite dishes. It's decor is simple and calming and the staff is helpful and not overbearing. In the main street sea of hip, loud, and crowded dining spots, Pacific Rim holds onto a quieter, classier but still cool feel. Perfect for a date night or dinner with friends you actually want to talk to.

Here are a few of my recommendations (forgive the photos, I only had my iphone):

We love starting with this appetizer sampler ($13). To die for. It includes: One piece of each of the first four appetizers:  Saigon Spring Roll, Tuna Tartare, Southeast Asian Crabcake, Lemongrass Beef Skewer. If I had to choose my favorite, it is the beef skewer dipped in the peanut sauce. So, so good.

Each entree is served with a house salad, and while it may not look like much, it is a super fresh blend of greens, carrots, onions, and pine nuts topped with the most delicious dressing. Sweet, tangy and perfect. The house salad is a real addition to the meal. And, before I blogged this, I had no idea they have published the dressing recipe, here. Hooray! 


Now, for one more starter...promise me you will not eat at Pacific Rim without ordering the Coconut Curry Soup ($3 for the cup, $5 for the bowl, but get the bowl!). It has sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and shittake mushrooms. We got one bowl to share and we could have each downed our own. And, I have even more good news, they have the recipe for this masterpiece here! Can't wait to give it a try.



All of our entrees have always been fantastic. We especially love:

Miso-Teriyaki Salmon ($25)
Faroe Islands Atlantic salmon sautéed with snap peas, zucchini and red bell peppers, glazed with a miso-teriyaki sauce.

Japanese-Style Sablefish ($28)
Rich sablefish marinated in miso and sake, pan roasted with a soy-tamarind sauce and served over sautéed nappa cabbage, shiitake mushrooms and Korean vermicelli noodles.



Quinoa-Crusted Scallops ($27)
Pan-seared jumbo scallops with kohlrabi, fennel, edamame beans, served with coconut-jasmine rice and a carrot-lemongrass sauce.



The restaurant is busy and fills up quickly during restaurant week (good luck), and during graduation, so reserve now (I am serious)! It is also busy most weekends, so I would highly recommend a reservation. If you haven't dined at Pacific Rim, it will not disappoint!

If you go.

Address. 114 West Liberty Street Ann Arbor, MI

Hours. Monday- Thursday 5:30-9:30 pm, Friday-Saturdsay 5:30-10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00-9:00pm

Parking. Must find a meter or use a close parking garage or lot.

Reservations.

Menu

Labels: , ,