Good Eats: Asian Chopped Salad (with edamame, red peppers and a sweet ginger dressing)




You all know I love a good salad, but I also love a great easy salad, and this one is the perfect mix of delicious and simple. I just made it last night for my son's birthday party and it was a complete hit...bowl licked clean again.

The best part of this salad is that it requires very little prep and hardly any mess, which I love when I am having a party at my home. Here is the secret: You start with the ready made ASIAN CHOPPED SALAD from Sam's club. It is a steal at only $2.75 per bag, and it includes the cabbage, carrots, celery, green onions, cilantro, wonton noodles, toasted almonds and a fantastic dressing.



It is a great salad to take to a potluck or event because cabbage holds up really well and stays crunchy even after sitting out awhile. I also served it for a girls' lunch and we all loved it.

To make it really special and more homemade this is the recipe:

3 bags of Asian Chopped Salad from Sam's Club
1 bag of shelled, frozen edamame, thawed (run under warm water and drain or stick in the microwave per directions)
2 red peppers, chopped into rather small pieces
1-2 cups of cherry tomatoes, halved
A few extra toasted, slivered almonds or cashews if you like more nuts (optional)
1-2 chicken breasts grilled and chopped (optional, but great if you want it to be a more main dish salad)
Possibly a little extra Asian dressing (any kind will do, the flavor comes mostly from the yummy ginger dressing that comes with the salad, but I have found that if I am adding the chicken I will for sure need more dressing and sometimes I still need a bit more so the salad isn't too dry).

Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and toss. Makes 8 main dish servings or more if it is just a side dish.

Last night I served it with my Easy, Creamy Tomato Basil Soup which was also a huge hit with the kids and adults. For the recipe click here.

Other salads on my blog (Click to get the recipe):
South of the Border Chopped Salad
BLT Salad

Or for all of my recipes, click here!


ENJOY!!

Labels: ,